If your Thuraya XT has the IMEI number between 356978 02 100001 and 356978 02 199999: the Thuraya Hotspot should work straight out the box, NO UPGRADE REQUIRED.
If you have a Thuraya XT that has the IMEI number greater than 356978 02 200001 OR you have a Thuraya XT-PRO then the Hotspot will require a firmware upgrade to work
Compatible handsets after firmware upgrade:
Designed for professional users, Thuraya XT-PRO is ruggedized and equipped with longest battery life on any satell
ite phone, ensuring connectivity no matter where you go.
The Thuraya XT-PRO is the first satellite phone with built-in GPS BeiDou and Glonass capability for highest flexibility in all regions. It has the biggest display on any satellite phone and comes with hardened Gorilla® glass for harsh environments. The screen is designed for glare resistance which allows for optimal visibility in bright sunlight and it includes a brightness sensor to automatically adjust the backlight of the display.
Thuraya XT, the world’s first IP54/IK03 certified satellite phone, has arrived. Splash resistant, dust protected, and shockproof, Thuraya XT is the most rugged handset combining satellite phone functionality with the dependability of Thuraya’s superior network.
Thuraya XT is ideal for everybody who moves around in areas where local networks are unreliable or non-existent. Its extremely durable construction makes Thuraya XT ideally suited to tough environments, where other satellite phones may not handle the conditions so well.
Before starting the upgrade, please take note of the following precautions:
- Ensure that the XT-Hotspot is powered on and plugged in to a power source with the DC adapter.
- Ensure that there is nothing connected to the USB port of the XT-Hotspot at the time of the upgrade (disconnect the XT or XT-PRO if connected).
- Only use the Ethernet (LAN) port of the XT-Hotspot to connect to the PC and do the firmware upgrade.
- Ensure your PC is in DHCP mode (this is the default mode).
Download the ZIP file by following this link: Thuraya Hotspot Firmware Upgrade
After downloading and unzipping the appropriate firmware file:
- Connect the XT-Hotspot to the PC using an Ethernet cable and access the web interface of the XT-Hotspot by going to any Internet browser and entering 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- Fill in the username and password:
- Go to System and select “Backup/ Flash Firmware”.
- Go to the “Flash new firmware image” section at the bottom.
- Uncheck the “Keep settings” tab.
- Click “Choose File”.
- Select the unzipped firmware file on your PC.
- Click “Flash Image”.
- On the next screen verify that the Checksum is: e39d2bf35fe75ad3baf9d84b150de15c
- If everything is ok and the Checksum matches, click “Proceed”.
- Wait for 5 to 10 minutes – don’t disconnect the power during this process.
- Once finished, connect to the XT or XT-PRO and see if the GmPRS connection comes up.
- Power off the XT-Hotspot and turn it back on (after waiting for at least 10 minutes) to verify that the connection comes up and the LED starts blinking. If it doesn’t then take the USB cable out and reconnect it back to the XT-Hotspot.
- Use the XT-Hotspot with the GmPRS connection of any Thuraya XT or XT-PRO.
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not follow the exact process as explained above there is a high chance of damaging the unit.